Monday, October 7, 2013

Super husband

A few weeks ago we had a scare. I started having severe stomach pains which felt like I was going into preterm labor. After calling Erik, he decided he needed to leave work and take me to the doctor.  With the help of a dependable friend, (thanks Audrey), to take care of the children, we went to the doctor. Thank goodness we found out it was only a stomach virus.  ONLY A STOMACH VIRUS!! This was one of the most horrible experiences that a pregnant woman can go through! I was pretty sure I wasn't going to survive. (I am a little dramatic.)

Anyway, the point to all of this drama is how my husband saved the day. Now, one of my parenting goals is to teach my girls to never look for a man to be her knight in shinning armor. We all have flaws and no one will complete your life and "save" you. That is chick flick garbage at its best. However, I do want them to see how their daddy swoops in and takes care of their sick pregnant mother while taking care of everything else in the house. I want them to find that godly man who will take care of them when they need help. In sickness and in health, for better or worse, for richer or poorer. Sometimes I think we forget what those words really mean.

Erik had to deal with my whining from my quarantined bedroom upstairs. He had to run up and down the stairs a million times bringing me things I needed. He had to run to the store and pharmacy about a dozen times. All while homeschooling two children to get them ready for their community day on campus the following day, taking care of our almost two year old, cooking for them, cleaning up all of our messes, etc.   He swooped in and took care of EVERYTHING without complaining at all.

 I know some of you may think "This isn't a big deal, quit bragging." But unfortunately I don't seem to praise him for all he does enough. I suspect many of us don't praise our spouses for all the sacrifices they make for our families. This is something that I intend to correct. 

Days like that make me realize that we ARE going to make it. You know there are days when the chaos piles up and you think you will never survive. This incident could have been one of these times but it made me realize that even though it is tough, Erik and I can do this together, as long as we are seeking God and depending on Him. 

I Corinthians 13 

1 comment: